Saturday, June 1, 2013

A tribute to Modernisme

Barcelona's trademark architectural style, from Gaudi and beyond, gathers legions of young (in their majority) travel gangs competing for quick entrance: Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera, Casa Batlló, Palau de la Música Catalana, and more, jazz up every other corner of the Catalan capital.

There's just one problem: Undisciplined, messy, jazzy as this writer gloats to be, it doesn't speak to me.
Miles afar from urban decay, it flirts with surrealism, but it's not extreme enough.
I therefore resolved to look for imaginative details that will make the Spanish Modernists more my own. Not an easy task, but photo-editing gave me a hand.
Here's my personal view of the barcelonesque queer - so not real, but still quite far from a lie...

The Expressionist Extraordinaire


Soundtrack: Eulogy by LA Vampires & Zola Jesus.

Palau de la Música Catalana: The Modernist creation of my predilection.

Casa Batlló and the pilgrimage of teenage travel groups.
A modernist balcony bows to the Goths.

Modernisme does Alice in Wonderland.
Magic castle
The pedestrian reality of Parc Güell


Sagrada Familia: The spiritual Disneyland.

 
Purple rain


My Sagrada version of the Modernist Familia.












Text and photography by Danai Molocha.  

No comments:

Post a Comment